Hydrangeas at Hakusan Shrine in 2017
Today I went to Hakusan shrine which is in Tokyo's Bunkyo ward to see the Hydrangea Festival for my second time. I never used to like hydrangeas, but the more I go the more they grow on me. This time though, I couldn’t get up early like I did last year so I got there much later than I had planned. And most unfortunately, it was quite a cloudy day with blue sky glimpsed through the clouds only once or twice while I was there. Well, at the time I thought it was unfortunate but my mind soon changed.
If you look at my pictures on Tokyo in Pics.com I think you’ll see that the overwhelming majority were taken on fine days OR more preferably fine days with that had a few clouds in them. Most people, I think, prefer blue skies. Blue skies just look better, but blue skies with a few clouds in them are definitely best. However, when the sky is blue it allows a lot of light through which can make photographing flowers difficult as they can be quite reflective, which is obviously problematic. Too much light and it’ll blow out your pictures. With an overcast sky, the clouds act like a diffuser making the light softer, which is a huge plus. It’s pretty good, as long as you focus on the flowers and don’t include the ugly grey sky.
I had a great time there with my camera, had a few chats with a couple of people and of course enjoyed the flowers. When the hydrangeas are in bloom at Hakusan shrine it is such a beautiful place and I would really urge anyone who visits Tokyo to visit it. Depending on what you day go and what time of day you go it can get quite crowded, but that is okay as it is still pretty local. The shrine and the area around it isn't that big, but it has about 3000 hydrangeas.
If you don’t know anything about hydrangeas, they can be blue, red, white, pink or purple and there are two types. One is roughly ball-shaped and the other is rather flat with a centre core surrounded by an outer ring of flowers. I like them both. They are great to both look at and photograph.
Anyway, that is it from me for the moment. Not sure where my next article will be from, so if you have any ideas please let me know by leaving a comment.
- August 2017 4
- July 2017 3
- Jun 29, 2017 Wadakura Fountain Park - 和田倉噴水公園 Jun 29, 2017
- Jun 21, 2017 Hydrangeas at Myohoji in 2017 Jun 21, 2017
- Jun 19, 2017 My First Model Photo Shoot Jun 19, 2017
- Jun 14, 2017 Hydrangeas at Hakusan Shrine in 2017 Jun 14, 2017
- Jun 7, 2017 Tokyo Metropolitan Memorial Hall - remembering the 1923 earthquake Jun 7, 2017
- Jun 1, 2017 Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia 2017 Opening Ceremony Jun 1, 2017
- May 25, 2017 Tokyo at Night - Shinjuku May 25, 2017
- May 21, 2017 Sanja Festival 2017 - shots from Kaminarimon May 21, 2017
- May 15, 2017 Sarashobou: Serious Books in Tokyo May 15, 2017
- May 12, 2017 Tokyo at Night - Omotesando May 12, 2017
- May 5, 2017 Children's Day in Tokyo 2017 May 5, 2017
- May 2, 2017 Azaleas at Nezu shrine in 2017 May 2, 2017
- Apr 29, 2017 Wisteria at Kameido-Tenjin Apr 29, 2017
- Apr 13, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Zenpukuji River Park - 2017 Apr 13, 2017
- Apr 11, 2017 Cherry blossoms on the Kanda river - 2017 Apr 11, 2017
- Apr 7, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Inokashira park - 2017 Apr 7, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Aoyama cemetery - 2017 Apr 5, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Shinjuku Gyoen - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Chidorigafuchi - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- March 2017 3
- February 2017 2
- Jan 13, 2017 Tokyo Auto Salon 2017 - it's all about cars and girls Jan 13, 2017
- Jan 1, 2017 New Year's Day in Tokyo -2017 Jan 1, 2017
- December 2016 5
- November 2016 5
- September 2016 2
- August 2016 2
- July 2016 2
- June 2016 4