Children's Day in Tokyo 2017
Children's Day is an annual Japanese national holiday which takes place May 5, which was today, so I headed out with my camera to three locations to see what I could find. The places I chose, in advance, were Tokyo Midtown, Tokyo Tower and Zojoji. I knew something was definitely going to happen at the first two places but I wasn’t sure about the last. Anyway, it was a great day as the weather was perfect. And as the day was a part of Golden Week, the crowds were out in force!
Tokyo Midtown and Tokyo Tower celebrated the day quite differently to each other. Tokyo Tower had all its carp above the front entrance, rows and rows of them, that was it. I thought it was pretty effective considering the tower has really limited space to work with. Tokyo Midtown put up 100 carp along the garden path’s as well as having a giant carp about 50 meters long that you could walk through, which kids seemed to love. All I could see at Zojoji was only one flag pole from which only a few carp were strung.
If I had the choose between them as to which was best, I’d pick Tokyo Midtown. It was just great to see so many people there out on the lawn, sitting, drinking and talking. Everyone seemed to really enjoy themselves.
Earlier I mentioned Golden Week. If you don’t know about it, it is just a series of public holidays, April 29 and then follow by May 3,4 and 5. In some years, if the timing is right, the twenty-ninth will be a on a Friday and May third will be on the Monday, which will make for nearly a whole week off for many people in Japan. Unfortunately, 2017 was not one of those years.
- May 25, 2017 Tokyo at Night - Shinjuku May 25, 2017
- May 21, 2017 Sanja Festival 2017 - shots from Kaminarimon May 21, 2017
- May 15, 2017 Sarashobou: Serious Books in Tokyo May 15, 2017
- May 12, 2017 Tokyo at Night - Omotesando May 12, 2017
- May 5, 2017 Children's Day in Tokyo 2017 May 5, 2017
- May 2, 2017 Azaleas at Nezu shrine in 2017 May 2, 2017
- Apr 29, 2017 Wisteria at Kameido-Tenjin Apr 29, 2017
- Apr 13, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Zenpukuji River Park - 2017 Apr 13, 2017
- Apr 11, 2017 Cherry blossoms on the Kanda river - 2017 Apr 11, 2017
- Apr 7, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Inokashira park - 2017 Apr 7, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Aoyama cemetery - 2017 Apr 5, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Shinjuku Gyoen - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Chidorigafuchi - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- March 2017 3
- February 2017 2
- Jan 13, 2017 Tokyo Auto Salon 2017 - it's all about cars and girls Jan 13, 2017
- Jan 1, 2017 New Year's Day in Tokyo -2017 Jan 1, 2017
- December 2016 5
- November 2016 5
- September 2016 2
- August 2016 2
- July 2016 2
- June 2016 4