Tokyo at Night - Shinjuku
I still remember when I first went to Shinjuku in 1991, for a job interview. It was the era of the bubble economy. Such huge crowds. I had never seen such numbers of people in one place, and it made me feel a little apprehensive about the place. Brisbane, back in Australia, just didn’t compare on any level. Shinjuku was, and still is, an exciting place.
At that time it was very easy to get excited by all the neon lights, the izakayas and the zillion and one taxis on the road every night. Shopping has never been my thing but, I was completely bedazzled by the concentration of all the big brand shops, like Louis Vuitton, Bvlgari and Chanelle, in one area. So many new experiences were to be had in Shinjuku . To see its streets at night was quite an experience. 1991 Tokyo was all glamour and glitz.
Twenty-six years on and much has changed. The bubble economy has well and truly gone and Japan has probably become a little more of a pessimistic place, but not Shinjuku. Shinjuku is still the place to go in Tokyo, for business or pleasure. It pulls the people. Especially at night.
Night comes and the streets of Shinjuku become full of people looking for a good time. Places like Kabukicho and Omoide Yokocho are filled with places to drink and eat and they literally overflow with people out looking for a good time.
Even after so many years here, Shinjuku is still one of my favourite places in Japan, not just Tokyo. Each area of has its own vibe, its own feeling. Where is my favourite? I wish I could give you an answer, but I can’t as I enjoy them all. Just walk around with a camera in hand and there is so much to shoot. East side, west side, north or south. Anywhere you go you’ll find something of interest.
When I went to Shinjuku for this article, I thought about getting some pictures from every area, but as some of you might notice, Golden Gai, and a few other places are missing. Golden Gai being Golden Gai, deserves its own article I thought so it was included here. Hopefully soon, I’ll get around to doing it.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I enjoyed taking them.
- August 2017 4
- July 2017 3
- Jun 29, 2017 Wadakura Fountain Park - 和田倉噴水公園 Jun 29, 2017
- Jun 21, 2017 Hydrangeas at Myohoji in 2017 Jun 21, 2017
- Jun 19, 2017 My First Model Photo Shoot Jun 19, 2017
- Jun 14, 2017 Hydrangeas at Hakusan Shrine in 2017 Jun 14, 2017
- Jun 7, 2017 Tokyo Metropolitan Memorial Hall - remembering the 1923 earthquake Jun 7, 2017
- Jun 1, 2017 Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia 2017 Opening Ceremony Jun 1, 2017
- May 25, 2017 Tokyo at Night - Shinjuku May 25, 2017
- May 21, 2017 Sanja Festival 2017 - shots from Kaminarimon May 21, 2017
- May 15, 2017 Sarashobou: Serious Books in Tokyo May 15, 2017
- May 12, 2017 Tokyo at Night - Omotesando May 12, 2017
- May 5, 2017 Children's Day in Tokyo 2017 May 5, 2017
- May 2, 2017 Azaleas at Nezu shrine in 2017 May 2, 2017
- Apr 29, 2017 Wisteria at Kameido-Tenjin Apr 29, 2017
- Apr 13, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Zenpukuji River Park - 2017 Apr 13, 2017
- Apr 11, 2017 Cherry blossoms on the Kanda river - 2017 Apr 11, 2017
- Apr 7, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Inokashira park - 2017 Apr 7, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Aoyama cemetery - 2017 Apr 5, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Shinjuku Gyoen - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Chidorigafuchi - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- March 2017 3
- February 2017 2
- Jan 13, 2017 Tokyo Auto Salon 2017 - it's all about cars and girls Jan 13, 2017
- Jan 1, 2017 New Year's Day in Tokyo -2017 Jan 1, 2017
- December 2016 5
- November 2016 5
- September 2016 2
- August 2016 2
- July 2016 2
- June 2016 4