Cherry blossoms at Aoyama cemetery - 2017
Every year I go to Aoyama cemetery for the cherry blossoms. Without doubt that cemetery is one of my favourite places in Tokyo. Whatever the time of year I can shoot there for hours and hours. It is just great. Now it is spring and the cherry blossoms are here so when I woke up I looked out the window to check the weather, saw that it was great, got dressed, quickly ate breakfast, grabbed my camera and gear, then headed outside. It was promising to be a good day. I was ready, and I was going to enjoy it.
As far as I’m concerned, Aoyama cemetery is the best place in Tokyo for cherry blossoms. Every time I go there, there are hardly any people around. It is just me, my camera and whoever else I wander into, usually people who have come to visit a particular grave, another cameraman or someone walking their dog. That’s it. There are no parties there, no crowds, no one drinking. It is my type of place, nice and quiet, the type of place you go to if you just want to enjoy the trees and a little solitude in the big city.
Why do I like it so much? It’s the whole package - the graves, the trees, the atmosphere, the view, the history. Aoyama cemetery has it all. If I had to single out one thing I most like about it though, I’d probably say it’s the symbiosis of the graves and trees. Some of the trees are extremely close to the graves and the way they complement each other so well. It is very, very attractive.
But things never go entirely as planned, do they? I was expecting the trees to be at their very best. Once again, they weren’t. Such is my luck. All week I’ve being saying that in another day or two, the cherry blossoms would peak. I thought today would be THE day. Well, they were fairly close, but being fairly close is only close, no cigar.
Still, I enjoyed my time there immensely. There is nothing better in life, for me anyway, than spending time outside with a camera walking in a beautiful place taking pictures of something that takes one’s interest. The weather was warm, the sun was out and the trees were looking pretty good. It was a very, very nice morning. And there is always next year to look forward to!
- September 2017 5
- August 2017 5
- July 2017 3
- Jun 29, 2017 Wadakura Fountain Park - 和田倉噴水公園 Jun 29, 2017
- Jun 21, 2017 Hydrangeas at Myohoji in 2017 Jun 21, 2017
- Jun 19, 2017 My First Model Photo Shoot Jun 19, 2017
- Jun 14, 2017 Hydrangeas at Hakusan Shrine in 2017 Jun 14, 2017
- Jun 7, 2017 Tokyo Metropolitan Memorial Hall - remembering the 1923 earthquake Jun 7, 2017
- Jun 1, 2017 Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia 2017 Opening Ceremony Jun 1, 2017
- May 25, 2017 Tokyo at Night - Shinjuku May 25, 2017
- May 21, 2017 Sanja Festival 2017 - shots from Kaminarimon May 21, 2017
- May 15, 2017 Sarashobou: Serious Books in Tokyo May 15, 2017
- May 12, 2017 Tokyo at Night - Omotesando May 12, 2017
- May 5, 2017 Children's Day in Tokyo 2017 May 5, 2017
- May 2, 2017 Azaleas at Nezu shrine in 2017 May 2, 2017
- Apr 29, 2017 Wisteria at Kameido-Tenjin Apr 29, 2017
- Apr 13, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Zenpukuji River Park - 2017 Apr 13, 2017
- Apr 11, 2017 Cherry blossoms on the Kanda river - 2017 Apr 11, 2017
- Apr 7, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Inokashira park - 2017 Apr 7, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Aoyama cemetery - 2017 Apr 5, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Shinjuku Gyoen - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Chidorigafuchi - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- March 2017 3
- February 2017 2
- Jan 13, 2017 Tokyo Auto Salon 2017 - it's all about cars and girls Jan 13, 2017
- Jan 1, 2017 New Year's Day in Tokyo -2017 Jan 1, 2017
- December 2016 5
- November 2016 5
- September 2016 2
- August 2016 2
- July 2016 2
- June 2016 4