Cherry blossoms at Chidorigafuchi - 2017
Well, Tokyo is having the weirdest cherry blossom season in 2017. I don't know what the official record says but as far as I'm concerned it has been a very, very late one. It was supposed to have started a week ago so I guess some people were annoyed last weekend that it was cold so the trees were absolutely nothing to look at. Pretty much everything fizzed out. But I guess it depends on who you are as I had to work last Sunday so in the end I didn’t miss out on anything. This late start proved to be a huge benefit to me.
So I decided to go to Chidorigafuchi. I know it has a great reputation as it is really beautiful place for cherry blossoms especially when all the boats are out on the pond under the trees but I've never really liked the place. Why? Because during the cherry blossom season it gets insanely crowded. At times the paths are so crowded it is hard to move ahead. It can be like a mosh pit. People bouncing off other people as they try to move around. The cherry blossom mosh pit. Enter at your own risk.
However, this time, as I had arrived before the lunchtime crowd the mosh pit was nowhere to be seen. By arriving at 11 am I had beaten the lunchtime crowd so walking and taking pictures was relatively easy. Even the deck above the boathouse had some space on it! It was almost ... kind of ... well, it was pleasant! Quite pleasant!
The trees weren't quite at their best but due to the lack of crowds that was ok! I didn't mind. Not at all. Move a little, take a shot, move a little, take a shot and keep repeating. No bouncing off people as in previous years. In the end I was satisfied with the shots I got. Thumbs up for a change.
I'm guessing in one or maybe two more days the trees will be in full bloom. Probably then the mosh pit will be back? I don't know and I don't care because I have my pictures and won't need to go back until next year. So, take that Mosh Pit, I beat you this year!
On a slightly more serious note I did learn something very useful. Chidorigafuchi has toilets there if you need them, but during this season they have a line that is nearly a mile long. This time I learned that if you just walk over the road to the Chidorigafuchi National Cemetery there are toilets there that no one uses. No lines at all, only a few tens of meters away and right near the entrance too!
If you are free tomorrow or the next day pop over to Chidorigafuchi and check out the trees because they will be looking very nice! Just beware the mosh pit if you go at lunchtime!
- September 2017 5
- August 2017 5
- July 2017 3
- Jun 29, 2017 Wadakura Fountain Park - 和田倉噴水公園 Jun 29, 2017
- Jun 21, 2017 Hydrangeas at Myohoji in 2017 Jun 21, 2017
- Jun 19, 2017 My First Model Photo Shoot Jun 19, 2017
- Jun 14, 2017 Hydrangeas at Hakusan Shrine in 2017 Jun 14, 2017
- Jun 7, 2017 Tokyo Metropolitan Memorial Hall - remembering the 1923 earthquake Jun 7, 2017
- Jun 1, 2017 Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia 2017 Opening Ceremony Jun 1, 2017
- May 25, 2017 Tokyo at Night - Shinjuku May 25, 2017
- May 21, 2017 Sanja Festival 2017 - shots from Kaminarimon May 21, 2017
- May 15, 2017 Sarashobou: Serious Books in Tokyo May 15, 2017
- May 12, 2017 Tokyo at Night - Omotesando May 12, 2017
- May 5, 2017 Children's Day in Tokyo 2017 May 5, 2017
- May 2, 2017 Azaleas at Nezu shrine in 2017 May 2, 2017
- Apr 29, 2017 Wisteria at Kameido-Tenjin Apr 29, 2017
- Apr 13, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Zenpukuji River Park - 2017 Apr 13, 2017
- Apr 11, 2017 Cherry blossoms on the Kanda river - 2017 Apr 11, 2017
- Apr 7, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Inokashira park - 2017 Apr 7, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Aoyama cemetery - 2017 Apr 5, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Shinjuku Gyoen - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Chidorigafuchi - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- March 2017 3
- February 2017 2
- Jan 13, 2017 Tokyo Auto Salon 2017 - it's all about cars and girls Jan 13, 2017
- Jan 1, 2017 New Year's Day in Tokyo -2017 Jan 1, 2017
- December 2016 5
- November 2016 5
- September 2016 2
- August 2016 2
- July 2016 2
- June 2016 4