Wisteria at Kameido-Tenjin
Until I started my blog I was never interested in flowers, not at all. But for my first blog, now long gone started, I was always looking for new articles to put on it so I started photographing them and writing about them. Luckily, Tokyo has lots of flower festivals so they were easy to find. Once I got into it, I slowly grew to appreciate them. Now I go to them whenever I can. Actually, the first flower festival I went to was for wisterias at Kameido-Tenjin.
Kameido-Tenjin is one of Tokyo's major shrines which is known for having several different flowers festivals but, I think, the one for wisteria is the most important. I was very glad I went as I was in for a very pleasant surprise.
Wisteria, as they grow, will climb up any available support and drop beautiful purple flowers. Kameido-Tenjin has provided some latticework for them to grow over. The cool thing there is that the shrine has some big ponds which are crossed by drum bridges, not the originals though as they were destroyed by the bombing during World War Two, to enjoy the view of the flowers. They mightn’t be the originals, but that doesn’t matter, as they are still pretty cool.
During the festival those bridges are literally overflowing with people using them as vantage points to take photos. You can get some really good shots as there is a long path to the shrine with wisteria on either side and Tokyo Skytree to the left.
Luckily this year, I was able to go when the flowers were in full bloom and the weather was great. And I have to say the fragrance from the wisteria is very, very pleasant.
The Wisteria Festival at Kameido-Tenjin goes for a few days yet, so you still have a chance to go if you are in Tokyo. If you would like to see the shrine's (Japanese) website you can see it here.
- May 25, 2017 Tokyo at Night - Shinjuku May 25, 2017
- May 21, 2017 Sanja Festival 2017 - shots from Kaminarimon May 21, 2017
- May 15, 2017 Sarashobou: Serious Books in Tokyo May 15, 2017
- May 12, 2017 Tokyo at Night - Omotesando May 12, 2017
- May 5, 2017 Children's Day in Tokyo 2017 May 5, 2017
- May 2, 2017 Azaleas at Nezu shrine in 2017 May 2, 2017
- Apr 29, 2017 Wisteria at Kameido-Tenjin Apr 29, 2017
- Apr 13, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Zenpukuji River Park - 2017 Apr 13, 2017
- Apr 11, 2017 Cherry blossoms on the Kanda river - 2017 Apr 11, 2017
- Apr 7, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Inokashira park - 2017 Apr 7, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Aoyama cemetery - 2017 Apr 5, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Shinjuku Gyoen - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Chidorigafuchi - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- March 2017 3
- February 2017 2
- Jan 13, 2017 Tokyo Auto Salon 2017 - it's all about cars and girls Jan 13, 2017
- Jan 1, 2017 New Year's Day in Tokyo -2017 Jan 1, 2017
- December 2016 5
- November 2016 5
- September 2016 2
- August 2016 2
- July 2016 2
- June 2016 4