Another year and another AnimeJapan. Even though I don’t know much about anime, I really enjoyed this event. Just to go there have a look and take pictures is always enjoyable. To be honest, the taking pictures part is why I go as there are so many great things to shoot - stage events, models (both real and plastic), robots and cosplayers. As always, it was held at Tokyo Big Sight in Odaiba, which is Tokyo premier venue for this type of event and the halls were literally overflowing with people, many of them cosplayers who had come dressed as their favourite characters.
There were a few things that got my attention, one of which was Tachikoma. I think it could be described as a toy? While looking it up on the internet, I got the idea that it was inspired by something of the same name from the animation Ghost in the Shell, just minus the weapons of course. The display booth had a pile of small ones on display as well as a much larger one on their stage which drew a big crowd. It could move around, respond to commands and ask its own questions as well making a few reactions. Kind of like those Aibo robot dogs Sony made a long time ago but much bigger and more advanced.
I enjoyed the Bandai area too, especially as they had a live mural painting going on of Space Battleship Yamato. Godzilla was at AnimeJapan 2017, appearing at two booths. One thing I do really enjoy seeing at this event every year are the plastic models. Most of them are of very sexy and scantily clad girls but they are very well made, with a lot of attention given to detail. And of course, the real models are great too, all of them very friendly, very attractive and very accommodating when asked for photographs.
Lastly, if I had to judge on which booth was best I would probably my vote to Attack on Titan: Season Two. It was big. I’m not sure what the huge model was supposed to be, but it was very cool.
Anyway, AnimeJapan 2017 is now finished but it will be back again next year. You can see its website here.
- Jun 29, 2017 Wadakura Fountain Park - 和田倉噴水公園 Jun 29, 2017
- Jun 21, 2017 Hydrangeas at Myohoji in 2017 Jun 21, 2017
- Jun 19, 2017 My First Model Photo Shoot Jun 19, 2017
- Jun 14, 2017 Hydrangeas at Hakusan Shrine in 2017 Jun 14, 2017
- Jun 7, 2017 Tokyo Metropolitan Memorial Hall - remembering the 1923 earthquake Jun 7, 2017
- Jun 1, 2017 Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia 2017 Opening Ceremony Jun 1, 2017
- May 25, 2017 Tokyo at Night - Shinjuku May 25, 2017
- May 21, 2017 Sanja Festival 2017 - shots from Kaminarimon May 21, 2017
- May 15, 2017 Sarashobou: Serious Books in Tokyo May 15, 2017
- May 12, 2017 Tokyo at Night - Omotesando May 12, 2017
- May 5, 2017 Children's Day in Tokyo 2017 May 5, 2017
- May 2, 2017 Azaleas at Nezu shrine in 2017 May 2, 2017
- Apr 29, 2017 Wisteria at Kameido-Tenjin Apr 29, 2017
- Apr 13, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Zenpukuji River Park - 2017 Apr 13, 2017
- Apr 11, 2017 Cherry blossoms on the Kanda river - 2017 Apr 11, 2017
- Apr 7, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Inokashira park - 2017 Apr 7, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Aoyama cemetery - 2017 Apr 5, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Shinjuku Gyoen - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Chidorigafuchi - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- March 2017 3
- February 2017 2
- Jan 13, 2017 Tokyo Auto Salon 2017 - it's all about cars and girls Jan 13, 2017
- Jan 1, 2017 New Year's Day in Tokyo -2017 Jan 1, 2017
- December 2016 5
- November 2016 5
- September 2016 2
- August 2016 2
- July 2016 2
- June 2016 4