Hinamatsuri at the Keio Plaza Hotel
In Japan, the Hinamatsuri, also known as Girl’s Day or Doll’s Day, is celebrated on March 3. As I’ve never taken pictures of this event I thought it might be a good idea to get some. In the Kanto area, some places put on huge displays, but today I wanted to get some shots today after attending a job interview in the morning. As my interview was near Shinjuku, I was thinking where would be a convenient place to go. The first place that popped into my mind was the Keio Plaza hotel in Shinjuku, as I heard it puts on a great display every year.
After finishing my interview, I walked to Shinjuku and into the Keio’s lobby where I was given a very pleasant surprise. They had lots and lots of Hina dolls, thousands of them. On a large table there was the main display, Emperor and Empress, court ladies, musicians and all the supporting characters. Then, around the table they had an enormous frame with thousands of dolls suspended by strings.
The dolls weren’t only characters from the Emperor’s court, there were figures from the Chinese Zodiac and I’m pretty sure characters from a few Japanese fairy tales. It was very, very good. If you are interested in Girl’s Day dolls, or dolls in general, this is a display you need to see as it is very impressive. The display goes until March 27.
Unfortunately, I didn’t have that much time to check out everything at the hotel, but apparently there are smaller displays in different areas and some of the restaurants are doing something for the festival too. It seems like guests at the hotel are in for something really special this season.
- Apr 13, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Zenpukuji River Park - 2017 Apr 13, 2017
- Apr 11, 2017 Cherry blossoms on the Kanda river - 2017 Apr 11, 2017
- Apr 6, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Inokashira park - 2017 Apr 6, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Aoyama cemetery - 2017 Apr 5, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Shinjuku Gyoen - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- Apr 3, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Chidorigafuchi - 2017 Apr 3, 2017
- March 2017 3
- February 2017 2
- Jan 13, 2017 Tokyo Auto Salon 2017 - it's all about cars and girls Jan 13, 2017
- Jan 1, 2017 New Year's Day in Tokyo -2017 Jan 1, 2017
- December 2016 5
- November 2016 5
- September 2016 2
- August 2016 2
- July 2016 2
- June 2016 4