Plum Blossoms at Hanegi Park
I’ve been lucky with plum blossoms this year as the weather has been absolutely glorious. Last weekend at Yushima Tenjin, it was glorious. This weekend at Hanegi park in Setagaya ward it was glorious too. I haven’t seen blue skies like this in a very long time. It was perfect. Perfect skies to go with some very nice flowers.
If you don’t know about Hanegi park, it is just one of Tokyo’s many local parks. It’s nothing special, for most of the year. However, when spring comes and the plum blossoms bloom, then we see something very nice there. It’s very different compared to Yushima Tenjin. Yushima Tenjin has the shrine, lots of entertainment and can be extremely crowded. Hanegi is quite different. Yes, it has some stalls, a teahouse and some entertainment, but it is more laidback and quiet. The emphasis is more on the flowers.
I went there quite early in the morning, and it was mostly empty. At that time, the majority of people were locals. People were taking their morning walks, or their dogs, joggers running around the streets. Real suburban Tokyo life.
Hanegi did manage to give me one big surprise. You can see Mount Fuji from it, through the trees! Even though I’ve been to the park many times, this was the first time for me to see the mountain. Maybe in the past I’ve been unlucky with the weather? I don’t know, but I’m glad to have finally seen it, especially during the plum blossom season.
If you are in Tokyo and haven’t seen the plum blossoms yet, I’d urge you to go and see them as they are really well worth seeing. Hanegi park’s festival goes through to March 5 so you have a few weeks left yet. The park is only a five minute walk from Higashi-Matsubara station which is on the Keio-Inokashira line.
- Apr 13, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Zenpukuji River Park - 2017 Apr 13, 2017
- Apr 11, 2017 Cherry blossoms on the Kanda river - 2017 Apr 11, 2017
- Apr 6, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Inokashira park - 2017 Apr 6, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Aoyama cemetery - 2017 Apr 5, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Shinjuku Gyoen - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- Apr 3, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Chidorigafuchi - 2017 Apr 3, 2017
- March 2017 3
- February 2017 2
- Jan 13, 2017 Tokyo Auto Salon 2017 - it's all about cars and girls Jan 13, 2017
- Jan 1, 2017 New Year's Day in Tokyo -2017 Jan 1, 2017
- December 2016 5
- November 2016 5
- September 2016 2
- August 2016 2
- July 2016 2
- June 2016 4