Sumida River Fireworks 2016
After much debate with myself, I finally decided to go to the Sumida River Fireworks Festival in Asakusa. Why did I hesitate? Well, even though I've been in Japan for a long time, I'm not much of a crowd lover and I knew this event was going to be the, "mother of all crowded events". Furthermore, it was quite far from where I live, so I with the big crowds, crowded trains, crowded convenience stores and just everything crowded I decided to go. And by the way, did I tell you I knew it was going to really crowded? With it reported that 957, 000 people were there, I can tell you it is the biggest fireworks festival in Tokyo and probably the most crowded.
Seriously, this event takes the crowding to a whole new level. It is just really, really crowded. If you don't like crowds stay away from the Sumida river, when this event is on, because you'll just hate it. I really regret not stopping to take pictures of the crowds, but as I got there fairly late (having worked today) I needed to hurry and find a place to set up my camera. And I walked and walked and walked before I finally a relatively good spot in Hashiba which was quite a way from where the action took place.
From my faraway spot, the fireworks still looked great. There were over 20, 000 of them set off and they looked quite spectacular. The one thing that surprised me, was just how many cameras on tripods I saw. They were just everywhere, literally a sea of cameras on tripods in the Hashiba area.
And in the end, even though it was crowded, I was quite impressed with how those crowds were controlled. The police really seemed to know what they were doing. They got everyone moving in the right directions with a minimum of fuss. And when everything finished they brought out their big buses, blocked off all the surrounding streets off from cars so the crowds could get back to their stations with a minimum of fuss. And now knowing that this event is well and truly crowded I'm pretty sure I'll go back again next year.
If you want to see the Sumida River Fireworks Festival website you can see it here.
- Jun 29, 2017 Wadakura Fountain Park - 和田倉噴水公園 Jun 29, 2017
- Jun 21, 2017 Hydrangeas at Myohoji in 2017 Jun 21, 2017
- Jun 19, 2017 My First Model Photo Shoot Jun 19, 2017
- Jun 14, 2017 Hydrangeas at Hakusan Shrine in 2017 Jun 14, 2017
- Jun 7, 2017 Tokyo Metropolitan Memorial Hall - remembering the 1923 earthquake Jun 7, 2017
- Jun 1, 2017 Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia 2017 Opening Ceremony Jun 1, 2017
- May 25, 2017 Tokyo at Night - Shinjuku May 25, 2017
- May 21, 2017 Sanja Festival 2017 - shots from Kaminarimon May 21, 2017
- May 15, 2017 Sarashobou: Serious Books in Tokyo May 15, 2017
- May 12, 2017 Tokyo at Night - Omotesando May 12, 2017
- May 5, 2017 Children's Day in Tokyo 2017 May 5, 2017
- May 2, 2017 Azaleas at Nezu shrine in 2017 May 2, 2017
- Apr 29, 2017 Wisteria at Kameido-Tenjin Apr 29, 2017
- Apr 13, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Zenpukuji River Park - 2017 Apr 13, 2017
- Apr 11, 2017 Cherry blossoms on the Kanda river - 2017 Apr 11, 2017
- Apr 7, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Inokashira park - 2017 Apr 7, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Aoyama cemetery - 2017 Apr 5, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Shinjuku Gyoen - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Chidorigafuchi - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- March 2017 3
- February 2017 2
- Jan 13, 2017 Tokyo Auto Salon 2017 - it's all about cars and girls Jan 13, 2017
- Jan 1, 2017 New Year's Day in Tokyo -2017 Jan 1, 2017
- December 2016 5
- November 2016 5
- September 2016 2
- August 2016 2
- July 2016 2
- June 2016 4