Walking in Tokyo
Yesterday, I decided to go from Shinbashi station to Toranomon Hills and then onto Zojoji and Tokyo Tower. I hadn't been out just to shoot just for the pleasure of shooting recently, so I was really looking forward to it. It was a pity though, as the weather decided it didn't want to cooperate with me. So I left the Shinbashi with my camera and decided to just enjoy a walk and shoot whatever I came across.
I like walking around the central areas of Tokyo in its canyon-like streets and then through the occasional gap looking at the taller buildings. It is pretty weird at times though, you can have skyscrapers like Toranomon Hills and an old place like Atago shrine just a few hundred metres away. Not weird as such, but the contrast is very interesting and makes for great shooting.
Tornamon Hills is one of Tokyo's newer skyscrapers and I wondered how all the shops there survive over the weekends as the area seems mostly deserted. Maybe they make a earn their keep from all office workers that are there during the week? I've got no idea, but if you have a good answer, please let me know.
Atago shrine is a nice place for a walk, as long as you like stairs. I didn't count how many there were, but there quite a few and they are extremely steep. Getting to top though you'll rewarded as there is a pond filled with some carp in an interesting rock garden.
The central city areas of Tokyo though, are probably like any other city in the world in that most of the traffic is missing by late afternoon. I find it a rather surreal experience walking along empty streets that are meant to be packed with cars. Very pleasant.
Around five o'clock I got to the temple of Zojoji and it was dark. The main hall was closed but it still attracted a fair amount of people even so. With Tokyo Tower just behind it, it shouldn't be surprising.
How about you? Did you have a good weekend? I hope you did and I also hoped it involved a bit of photography!
- September 2017 5
- August 2017 5
- July 2017 3
- Jun 29, 2017 Wadakura Fountain Park - 和田倉噴水公園 Jun 29, 2017
- Jun 21, 2017 Hydrangeas at Myohoji in 2017 Jun 21, 2017
- Jun 19, 2017 My First Model Photo Shoot Jun 19, 2017
- Jun 14, 2017 Hydrangeas at Hakusan Shrine in 2017 Jun 14, 2017
- Jun 7, 2017 Tokyo Metropolitan Memorial Hall - remembering the 1923 earthquake Jun 7, 2017
- Jun 1, 2017 Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia 2017 Opening Ceremony Jun 1, 2017
- May 25, 2017 Tokyo at Night - Shinjuku May 25, 2017
- May 21, 2017 Sanja Festival 2017 - shots from Kaminarimon May 21, 2017
- May 15, 2017 Sarashobou: Serious Books in Tokyo May 15, 2017
- May 12, 2017 Tokyo at Night - Omotesando May 12, 2017
- May 5, 2017 Children's Day in Tokyo 2017 May 5, 2017
- May 2, 2017 Azaleas at Nezu shrine in 2017 May 2, 2017
- Apr 29, 2017 Wisteria at Kameido-Tenjin Apr 29, 2017
- Apr 13, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Zenpukuji River Park - 2017 Apr 13, 2017
- Apr 11, 2017 Cherry blossoms on the Kanda river - 2017 Apr 11, 2017
- Apr 7, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Inokashira park - 2017 Apr 7, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Aoyama cemetery - 2017 Apr 5, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Shinjuku Gyoen - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Chidorigafuchi - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- March 2017 3
- February 2017 2
- Jan 13, 2017 Tokyo Auto Salon 2017 - it's all about cars and girls Jan 13, 2017
- Jan 1, 2017 New Year's Day in Tokyo -2017 Jan 1, 2017
- December 2016 5
- November 2016 5
- September 2016 2
- August 2016 2
- July 2016 2
- June 2016 4