Sanno Festival 2016
Today I went to the Sanno Festival which was held at Hie shrine in Chiyoda ward. The Sanno is one of Tokyo's big three festivals - the other two being the Sanja and Kanda. It goes for a whopping eleven days, but today (i.e. Sunday) was the only day I could attend. Unfortunately not a lot happened, as the main scheduled event was tea drinking. I think the other days had some far more interesting stuff happening which I would like to see one day, hopefully next year. However, the weather was nice and that made for a good excuse to visit a shrine, which is something I always enjoy. I think it is every second year that this festival has an enormous parade that winds its way through several major parts of the city including the Imperial palace.
Entering the grounds here can be challenging for those lacking fitness as the stairs as they are steep and many. Luckily though the main entrance also has an escalator which makes things much easier. Once I got inside the main area, I saw it all very sedate, lots of people lining up to pray and/or drink. Hie shrine has almost everything placed around its central courtyard so seeing what little there was there, was very easy.
Even though I haven't seen the Sanno in full flight I imagine it probably doesn't get as lively as the Sanja which can be pretty amazing. I think one major reason for that is the Sanja, which is based in Askusa, is located in more of a residential area which makes a huge difference. Hie shrine is quite different, right in the middle of the city and with the surrounding skyscrapers towering over the complex, provide some great views. A really good place for photos. Here's looking forward to next year and seeing some of the other days.
- Apr 13, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Zenpukuji River Park - 2017 Apr 13, 2017
- Apr 11, 2017 Cherry blossoms on the Kanda river - 2017 Apr 11, 2017
- Apr 6, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Inokashira park - 2017 Apr 6, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Aoyama cemetery - 2017 Apr 5, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Shinjuku Gyoen - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- Apr 3, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Chidorigafuchi - 2017 Apr 3, 2017
- March 2017 3
- February 2017 2
- Jan 13, 2017 Tokyo Auto Salon 2017 - it's all about cars and girls Jan 13, 2017
- Jan 1, 2017 New Year's Day in Tokyo -2017 Jan 1, 2017
- December 2016 5
- November 2016 5
- September 2016 2
- August 2016 2
- July 2016 2
- June 2016 4