Chrysanthemums at Omiya Hachiman - 2016
Last year I discovered how good Tokyo was for flowers. Not that I'm a real flower buff, but in the city you can find azaleas, wisteria, lots of places for cherry blossoms and chrysanthemums. I seriously doubt that is a comprehensive list though. But as we are now in November, the flower of the moment is the chrysanthemum. Tokyo has been in a quite a cold snap recently, so 2016 has not been the best year for it.
I live in Tokyo's Suginami ward, and nearby there is a shrine, Omiya Hachiman, which is known for its annual display of chrysanthemums. As I already mentioned, this year has been quite cold so the flowers weren't in the best of shape, but they weren't that bad either. While taking pictures one of the growers who had his flowers on displayed came over and started chatting to me. It was really interesting talking to him as he taught me a little about the flowers. One thing that did surprise me about the display was that there were even bonsai chrysanthemum. They were tiny flowers!
The chrysanthemum is most famous in Japan, especially due to its connection with the Imperial family. However it is also famous in many other countries such as China, Italy, the USA and in my own Australia. In Australia the flowers bloom in May and they are sometimes given to mothers on Mother's Day.
If you ever want to visit a local shrine in Tokyo, Omiya Hachiman is highly recommended, especially in November for this great festival. And as the shrine is in a residential area and surrounded by trees, it is usually pretty quiet. There is also a dojo there for practitioners of kyudo (archery) which seems to be in constant use, or at least people have always been there whenever I visit.
- Cherry blossoms
- Tokyo Big Sight
- plum blossoms
- Makuhari Messe
- Imperial Palace
- Tokyo Auto Salon
- Sumida River
- Yasukuni shrine
- Tokyo Midtown
- Hie Shrine
- Apr 13, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Zenpukuji River Park - 2017 Apr 13, 2017
- Apr 11, 2017 Cherry blossoms on the Kanda river - 2017 Apr 11, 2017
- Apr 6, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Inokashira park - 2017 Apr 6, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Aoyama cemetery - 2017 Apr 5, 2017
- Apr 4, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Shinjuku Gyoen - 2017 Apr 4, 2017
- Apr 3, 2017 Cherry blossoms at Chidorigafuchi - 2017 Apr 3, 2017
- March 2017 3
- February 2017 2
- Jan 13, 2017 Tokyo Auto Salon 2017 - it's all about cars and girls Jan 13, 2017
- Jan 1, 2017 New Year's Day in Tokyo -2017 Jan 1, 2017
- December 2016 5
- November 2016 5
- September 2016 2
- August 2016 2
- July 2016 2
- June 2016 4